The Kenai River in Alaska is one of the most productive fishing rivers. The river winds through various terrains and habitats perfect for salmon fishing. As they mature, they swim upriver to spawn. Seeing these beautiful creatures is a stunning sight. And when you’re out there with a fly rod in hand—or even just watching them swim by—you’ll feel like you’re in a fisherman’s dream.
The river is a beautiful blue-green color, making it easy to spot salmon from anywhere along its banks. Because it attracts so many salmon each year, the Kenai is a hotspot for those who love to catch them!
Types of Salmon on the Kenai River
Anglers on the Kenai may catch five species of Pacific salmon.
- King salmon (Chinook). The largest salmon breed, it can grow to over 30 pounds. They generally run from late May through late July.
- Silver salmon (Coho). Smaller than king salmon, it’s not uncommon for them to weigh up to 15 pounds each. From the beginning of July through September, you’ll have excellent opportunities for an impressive silver catch.
- Pink salmon. The smallest salmon can weigh as little as 2 pounds each. They usually run from late July through September and, in even-numbered years, can form huge schools that attract anglers by the thousands.
- Sockeye salmon. Very similar in appearance to pinks but have redder flesh. The best time for them is from June to mid-August.
- Chum salmon. Often be caught from September through October. They also make one run in summer, during similar times as other species. They’re usually small, but some huge fish have been caught during their runs.
Make the Most of Your Kenai River Salmon Fishing Trip at Gone Fishin’ Lodge
If you’re looking for a place that’s easy to get to and has outstanding salmon runs, look no further—the Gone Fishin’ Lodge is located in the middle of great salmon runs. We make it as convenient as possible for you to go fishing: we’ve got licensed guides who are very familiar with the area for many years and know exactly when, where, and how to make each trip successful.
We also provide the fishing gear you need for your trip—including rods, reels, and bait. Rooms at the lodge are equipped with kitchenettes and high-speed internet. After a long day out, you’ll be able to come back and play a game of pool or enjoy our fully equipped kitchen. And don’t worry about where to store all that fish; our freezer room is large enough to hold your catches from every trip. We’re here if you have any questions or concerns while planning your trip.
We can’t wait to help you plan your trip!
Gone Fishin’ Lodge
48672 Funny River Rd.
Soldotna, AK 99669